Monday, April 28, 2014

Alternative Tabbouleh!

I was just complaining to my husband about how a lot of the blogs I follow are flooding my mailbox with recipes lately. So this gave me the idea to share a recipe. Ha, ha, hypocrisy! But it's true, I've been meaning to share this for a while, and being waaay behind on posting (because I've been working on a rather long one for Mother's Day), I'm seizing the moment.

This isn't a new recipe, but something that's been gaining popularity because it's one of those new twists on something old. Some of you may have tried quinoa tabbouleh, substituting it for the burghul, but I doubt you've tried it with kale! Ever since a friend introduced me to it, I haven't gone back to parsley. Friends who've tried it at our home were delightfully astonished with the authentic taste. Everything about it is the same, but instead of parsley, substitute with a bunch of well-chopped kale. The difference is almost unnoticeable, and the added bonus is that kale has a better refrigerator life than parsley in tabbouleh. Unlike day-old wilted parsley tabbouleh, the kale version tastes just as crunchy and fresh the next day and even the day after.

So, if you're looking for new ways to eat kale, you might find this recipe a fun and familiar addition to your diet.

Many variations are available on the internet. Here's one recipe from the NY Times that has cumin (ick!) and radishes in it (?). Here's mine, based on the tabbouleh recipe passed on to me from my mom, and her mom before her, etc:



KALEBOULEH

1 large bunch curly kale -- finely chopped.
2 large ripe tomatoes-- diced.
5 scallions - chopped
1/2 cup fresh mint -- finely chopped
1/3 cup bulgur ---washed, pre-soaked, and strained
1 1/2 lemons --juiced.
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon sea salt
dash of pepper

Remove the stems from the kale and chop the leaves finely- by hand or food processor. Be careful not to over process. In a large bowl, thoroughly toss all the ingredients together. Taste. Add lemon, salt, or oil if needed. Serve.

Sahtein!



No comments: